As a small business owner, it’s essential to keep up with the latest trends, since your customers’ expectations will be influenced by them. However, not every trend will impact you in the same way since every business is different. That being said, here are 5 of the most significant trends going into 2020.
1. Customers Prefer Green and Socially Responsible Businesses
Following these values are especially important when appealing to millennial and Gen Z audiences. You can demonstrate your commitment in these areas in a number of ways, including the following:
- Use local products as much as possible, such as restaurants sourcing food from local farms
- Minimize packaging by using recyclable materials and encouraging customers to use their own bags
- Use green cleaning products
- Patronize green vendors and services
2. Customer Reviews Will Be More Important Than Ever
Customers trust reviews over any other content businesses create themselves. The best way to get positive reviews is to provide great products and customer service. Beyond that, it helps to gently remind customers to leave reviews, whether this is done in person or via email or social media.
3. Traditional Businesses are Learning to Leverage E-Commerce
The e-commerce revolution can be a great way to expand your business without the need for more physical space. Here are a few examples of how traditional businesses can expand online:
- Restaurants could bottle their signature salsa, curry sauce or salad dressing
- Salons can sell beauty and hair care products
- Gyms can sell supplements and workout gear
- If you don’t create your own product, you could sell your favorite products as an affiliate
4. Mobile Marketing Will Be Used in Creative Ways
Small businesses can take advantage of the popularity of mobile in several ways:
- Use geo-targeting to provide targeted ads to customers who are close to your business
- Create an app for your business to send out promotions and news
- Leverage SMS or text message marketing to send out your latest offers
- Accept mobile payments. Many customers appreciate the convenience of being able to pay via Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Visa Checkout and other platforms.
5. Stories and Livestream Will Dominate Social Media
Posting this type of ephemeral content allows you to connect with your audience in a spontaneous and authentic manner. Check in frequently and provide the latest news, consistently touching base with your customers.